Thursday, 31 December 2015

Goodbye, 2015. Hello, 2016!

Is it normal to have close to zero memories of an entire year? 2015 has come and (almost) gone, and I can't seem to remember anything. The year has been a blur, and not in a good way.
But traditions are traditions. So here I am today, on New Year's Eve, 2015, racking my brain to assess how my year went: the good, the bad, and the silver lining.

My Best Memories

1) My Room + My Roommate = Perfect

Geeks, you might have seen photos of my apartment bedroom on Instagram. Thanks to my lovely, artistic roommate, walking into our bedroom always puts a smile on my face. Sea-green curtains, a neat little bookshelf, glow-in-the-dark stars, fairy lights along the mirror, beautiful wall stickers... for a kid who never had a decorated room in her entire life, this bedroom is everything to me.

2) Hello, Healthy Eating
I used to work out a lot last year, too, but I hadn't changed my diet. I'd do strength training and cardio one day and have Oreos and a packet of chips for lunch the next day, which is probably why I was always so lethargic and sleepy.
Now, I do my best to eat clean every day, but also remember to treat myself with the occasional pizza or plate of French fries or cone of ice cream. It's all about moderation.

3) Proud Author of Two, Y'all!

My second YA novel was a whopping 116k words. Whaaaat? Not That Kind of Girl is now being uploaded on Wattpad, and I have so many more ideas and books in progress. A great year as a writer, to be honest.

4) So That's What Dawn Looks Like
Not counting this entire Christmas vacation week, when my routines have all gone for a toss, I like to start my morning before the sun comes up, usually around 5:30 a.m. I get into bed by 9:30, read for a half hour, and then enter dream world. Becoming an early bird has given me a lot of quiet time during the mornings and has definitely helped balance my sleep cycle.

5) My First Paycheque + Blogging Milestones

I actually made a decent amount of money during my internship... and probably spent it all on books. But hey, it's money that I earned! Plus, I've already done two sponsored posts on my blog, become a freaking ARC reviewer and a contributor at Huffington Post. Despite my low self-esteem, I am so proud of myself.

My Worst Memories

1) Mental Health

In spite of all the incredibly awesome things that have happened to me this year, I am incapable of being the positive, grateful person I thought I could be. The second half of 2015 has been especially difficult with respect to my mental well-being, and I have no idea what's wrong with me.
But on the bright side, at least I'm finally getting help instead of worrying about the stigma of mental illness. I deserve to be happy and healthy and whole, and nobody can tell me otherwise.
________________________________________________________________________

It's such a relief to say goodbye to 2015 - this confusing, overwhelming, difficult year - but at the same time, I'm terrified for what 2016 might bring. And a rather medium-sized part of me just wants to hide under the covers for all eternity because I don't have the strength to be hopeful or optimistic anymore.

Time waits for no one, right? So tomorrow, on the first day of the new year, I'll be heading back to Mumbai, unsure of what lies ahead. But as my dear friend Hagrid said, "What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does."


How did your 2015 go, Geeks? What are your expectations from the new year? Any resolutions? Let me know in the comments below. Have a great 2016!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's all right. Long comments make my day. Congrats on such a great 2015, and hope you have a wonderful 2016. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)