Tuesday, 9 December 2014

People Who Annoy Me #6: Skinny-Shamers!

How many times have you heard (or maybe even used) the following line? "Real women have curves", or the more popular variation: "Real men like curves". Or maybe this one? "Only dogs like bones".
How many times have you associated the condition 'anorexia' with a skinny person for no reason other than their weight?

Today I want to talk about something that I feel very, very, very strongly about.
Everyone knows about body shaming. It's a horrible phenomenon that is being perpetuated by the media and the beauty industry, right? That's why we have 'inspirational quotes' like the ones I discussed above.


Well, let me tell you something. I am a size zero. I am not anorexic. My body is natural. And I truly hope that real men look for compatibility and a nice personality, not curves or straight lines or any geometric figures.

I can't tell you how many times people have made comments about my weight and not even realised that they were hurting my feelings. Society dictates that we cannot say things like "You're so fat. Put that sandwich down!" or "So you're obese, right?"
And I agree, we shouldn't. But that does not mean we should ask people to "eat that sandwich" because they're "so anorexic".

One time, I had had a meal only an hour prior to my lunch break, so I wasn't hungry at all. I decided to just grab a snack instead of a full meal. What did my 'friend' say, with a chuckle? "Okay, you anorexic little girl."


Or how about that other time, when I was ordering dinner with some acquaintances, and one of them repeatedly said that we had to buy dinner for 'four and a half people'? That person kept asking me again and again, with a mocking expression, whether I really wanted to eat an entire portion or not.

And I really wanted to shout back at them. I wanted to ask them why they were being so mean. But here's the problem: they didn't know they were being mean! They didn't realise that they had said anything out of the ordinary, they didn't realise that they were being bullies, and I didn't know how I could explain it to them without coming across as an overreacting bitch.

There are a few skinny people who have the appetite of an elephant. I don't. But that doesn't mean I starve myself. I provide more than enough nourishment for my body, and I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm full, like any other person. So please, people, you can keep those 'sandwich' comments to yourself.


I am tired of people acting like I'm fragile or malnourished. I am tired of people dictating what real men should and shouldn't like, what real women should or shouldn't look like.
I am tired of not being able to find my size in stores because apparently, holding size zero clothing promotes body shaming.

Appearances do not matter, as I mentioned in a previous post. Yes, health matters. Maybe we should focus on our mind and body instead of looking at the portions on other people's plates. Maybe we should find out the meaning of 'anorexic' before using it to describe someone. Maybe we should stop skinny-shaming and fat-shaming and start giving importance to intellect, and humour, and kindness, and fitness, and other things that actually matter!

And then maybe the world would be a much happier place. Maybe.
Rant over. I'm out.

6 comments:

  1. I second everything you said. I am also extremely jealous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on this quite a while back, but I guess it didn't register my comment.
    Anyway, I've been waiting for this post since you published it by mistake a few months back. First of all, I was very disturbed by what you wrote, I can't believe people would actually say these kind of things to their friends. That is despicable.

    Secondly, I agree wholeheartedly with the everything you wrote. If I don't have curves, what am I supposed to be? A mythical creature?

    And lastly, I'm sure you've heard Meghan Trainor's All About The Bass. I really like the tune, and it is pretty catchy but the lyrics calling skinny girls 'stick figure silicone barbie dolls' spoil the entire song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      And the worst part is that they probably don't even remember making those comments, because it's no big deal to them.

      Yes, I've heard that song. I did not like it at all. :\

      Delete
  3. Yes thank you! I'm just like you and I hate it when people assume that I'm suffering from an eating disorder just because of my size! Its so annoying to have people constantly comment on your figure. Strangers even tell me that I need to eat because I look like I'm 50 lbs or that I have the body of a 12 yr old. That's beyond disrespectful!
    People should just not comment on anyone's body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, girl! Lately it feels like skinny shaming is the new 'trend', and everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon without thinking about people like us who are naturally thin.

      Delete

What's on your mind, Geeks? Let me know! :)